Ticket Types and Prices
New time ticketing system in operation
Edinburgh Castle now operates a timed ticketing system. To guarantee entry on the date and at the time of your choice, you must buy your tickets online in advance.
You will only be able to select an afternoon time slot when you buy your tickets online. For a morning slot, you must book tickets online at least a day in advance.
Last admission is 1 hour before closing. For more information, visit our opening times page.
Valid from Friday 30 March 2018
|Category||On-site price||Advance purchase price|
|Adult (16 - 59 yrs)||£18.50||£17.00|
|Child (5 - 15 yrs)||£11.50||£10.20|
|Concession (60 yrs+ and unemployed)*||£15.00||£13.60|
Please note: Admission prices may be subject to change.
Children under 5 years old go free and must be accompanied by an adult.
* Proof of eligibility is required. Benefits include, Jobseeker's Allowance (applies to UK residents only and an ES40 form is required); ESA (formerly the Incapacity Benefit); and Universal Credit. The offer does not apply to students.
Membership and passes
Historic Scotland members, Explorer Pass and Scottish Heritage Pass holders do not need to queue for a ticket; simply show your membership card or passes to castle staff at the scanning area to gain access.
English Heritage, Cadw and Manx members should go to Visitor Information for their entry ticket. Members of English Heritage, CADW and Manx Heritage can enjoy a visit to the castle for half price in their first year and for free when they renew. Don’t forget to bring your membership cards.
If you're visiting more than one of our properties or want free entry to over 70 of our heritage attractions throughout the year, take a look at our Explorer Pass or Membership.
Pay only once and enjoy admission to Scotland's top visitor attractions, from as little as £24.00. Whether you're looking for a family day out or have an interest in Scottish History you'll find plenty to do at our properties. Find out more about the Explorer Pass.
- Visitors that require the assistance of a carer are asked to pay admission according to their age category. Carers accompanying visitors with disabilities will receive free admission.
- Serving members of the British Armed Forces receive free entry to Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle and Fort George. MOD90 Identification is required on arrival and applies to the cardholder only.
- Young Scot cardholders can receive £1 entry on general admission tickets in 2018. Production of a valid Young Scot is required on arrival and applies to the cardholder only. Under 16's must be accompanied by an adult. For full Terms and Conditions, and to see where else Young Scot £1 entry applies, please visit Young Scot for more details.
- European Youth cardholders can receive a 10% discount on general admission tickets. Production of a valid European Youth card is required on arrival and applies to the cardholder only.
- Audio Tours are available to hire in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Mandarin. Adult £3.50, Child £1.50 and Concession £2.50. 20% discount for Historic Scotland Members and Explorer Pass Holders.