We are in a Level 3 COVID protection area and local visitors are welcome to visit.
Book in advance and check if Scottish Government travel restrictions apply before travelling.
Edinburgh Castle is open daily from 9.30am. Last entry and closing times vary by season. You should allow at least 2 hours to see all of the castle highlights. The castle is busiest from 9.30am to 11am.
|Season||Opens||Last entry||Closing time|
|Summer (1 Aug - 30 Sep)||9.30am||5pm||6pm|
|Winter (1 Oct - 31 Mar)||9.30am||4pm||5pm|
Closing commences 1 hour before the actual closing time.
Following government guidelines you must book your tickets in advance to visit the castle:
The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards shop is open from 10am to 3pm.
- All external spaces with visitor access
- The mobility vehicle is available to use (a face covering must be worn). Please ask a member of staff who can organise this for you
- Great Hall
- Palace Apartments, the Laich Hall and Antechamber are open (The Mary Room and The Birthing Room will be closed)
- St Margaret’s Chapel
- Mons Meg
- One o’Clock Gun
- Prisons of War vaults (exhibition is closed)
- Scottish National War Memorial
- National War Museum
- The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Shop, open 10am-3pm (museum remains closed).
- Audio guides available to hire from the ticket office
- The Redcoat Café (view our menu)
- The Portcullis Shop and The Whisky and Finest Food Shop
- Please note that the shops will be capacity managed and there will be a one way system in place throughout. In line with current Scottish Government guidelines you must wear a face covering when visiting the shops
- Toilets available in the Lower Ward (just over the drawbridge), Hospital Square and the National War Museum
- Accessible toilet available in the Queen Anne Building (Queen Anne Tea Room remains closed)
Some areas/facilities will remain closed for now, we have a phased approach to re-opening while we work to make them safe.
|14-30 Sept||Daily 11am||5pm|
|1-4 Oct||Daily 11am||4pm|
|5-26 Oct||Daily 10am||4pm|
For operational reasons, the café opening times may differ to those advertised.
The castle is closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December). On 1 January, we’re open from 11am to 5pm. Normal opening times resume on 2 January.