Edinburgh Castle is open daily from 9.30am. Last entry and closing times vary by season. You should allow at least 2 hours to see all of the castle highlights. The castle is busiest from 9.30am to 11am.
|Season||Opens||Last entry||Closing time|
|Summer (1 Aug - 30 Sep)||9.30am||5pm||6pm|
|Winter (1 Oct - 31 Mar)||9.30am||4pm||5pm|
Closing commences 1 hour before the actual closing time.
Following government guidelines you must book your tickets in advance to visit the castle:
- All external spaces with visitor access
- The mobility vehicle is available to use (a face covering must be worn). Please ask a member of staff who can organise this for you
- Great Hall
- Palace Apartments, the Laich Hall and Antechamber are open (The Mary Room and The Birthing Room will be closed)
- St Margaret’s Chapel
- Mons Meg
- One o’Clock Gun
- Prisons of War vaults (exhibition is closed)
- Scottish National War Memorial
- National War Museum
- The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards Shop (museum remains closed)
- Audio guides available to hire from the ticket office
- due to essential maintenance on the ticket office, audio guides will be unavailable 21-25 Sept
- The Redcoat Café (view our menu)
- Ice cream van on the esplanade
- The Portcullis Shop and The Whisky and Finest Food Shop
- Please note that the shops will be capacity managed and there will be a one way system in place throughout. In line with current Scottish Government guidelines you must wear a face covering when visiting the shops
- Toilets available in the Lower Ward (just over the drawbridge), Hospital Square and the National War Museum
- Accessible toilet available in the Queen Anne Building (Queen Anne Tea Room remains closed)
Some areas/facilities will remain closed for now, we have a phased approach to re-opening while we work to make them safe.
|14-30 Sept||Daily 11am||5pm|
|1-4 Oct||Daily 11am||4pm|
|5-26 Oct||Daily 10am||4pm|
For operational reasons, the café opening times may differ to those advertised.
The castle is closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day (25 and 26 December). On 1 January, we’re open from 11am to 5pm. Normal opening times resume on 2 January.