Commemorating the dead of both world wars and of military campaigns since 1945, the memorial was created by the country’s finest craft makers and artists.
They reworked the former North Barracks to create an architectural and artistic masterpiece.
Sculpture and stained glass provide moving depictions of scenes from the First World War.
Other works symbolise courage, peace, justice and the survival of the spirit while animal figures represent the vices and virtues.
The memorial occupies the site of the church of St Mary which became a munitions store in the 1530s and demolished in 1755.
Located at the North side of Crown Square.