Castle of Light
14-17, 22, 24, 29-30 November and 1-2, 5-8, 12-15, 19-22 December
5.30pm to 10pm (entry time slots apply)
Expect wonder, enchantment and a spectacle of colour this festive season as Edinburgh Castle, the defender of the nation, becomes the ‘Castle of Light’.
Follow in the footsteps of Scotland’s heroes and be welcomed by stunning visuals and state of the art lighting installations. Watch as the history of this iconic landmark illuminates the very walls that saw it unfold. A magical experience for all of the family - Prepare to be dazzled!
Access night - Monday 2 DecemberAutism-friendly orientation map PDF - 2 MB
On Monday 2 December, we’ll have help on hand to make Castle of Light a fantastic experience for visitors with specific access needs. Places will be limited so that the castle is quieter on that night, and our staff will provide support to visitors with dementia and visitors with autism.
Book at these times for specific tours:
- Audio-described tour
- 6.15pm time slot only
- Tour the castle accompanied by an audio describer, who will guide blind and partially sighted visitors through the castle, bringing to life the historic surroundings and spectacular light installations. Additional audio equipment will also be available, to ensure that everyone is able to access the tour.
- BSL Interpretation
- 5.45pm, 6.45pm and 7.45pm time slots only
- BSL interpreters will accompany Deaf and signing visitors around the castle, interpreting the mythical creatures and historical characters of the Castle of Light.
- Autism-friendly visit
- 8pm time slot only
- Autistic visitors can tour the Castle of Light, with access to ear defenders and a designated quiet room.
Please purchase tickets as normal online, ensuring you select the appropriate dates and times on Monday 2 December. If you need to arrange tickets for a carer or companion, please contact email@example.com
The best price is by buying online in advance. Walk up tickets will also be available.
Pick your entry time slot when buying tickets (the last slot is at 8.30pm). We recommend at least 90 minutes to follow the route.
10% discount on tickets for Historic Scotland Members' (valid membership card required). Not a Member? Join now to enjoy the benefits.
- Adult (16-59yrs) £22.00
- Concession (60yrs+) £18.00
- Child (5-15yrs) £13.50 *
- Family (1 adult and 2 children) £44.00
- Family (2 adults and 2 children) £64.00
- Family (2 adults and 3 children) £76.00