Number 7 on the Castle of Light trail

The Beasts of the Nor’ Loch

Since glaciers gouged the hollows either side of the Castle rock, the area to the north became water-logged and marshy. James III ordered it flooded around 1460 to improve the Castle’s defences and it became known as the Nor’ (or North) Loch.

Polluted, stinking and frequented by neer-do-wells, the loch was drained as part of Georgian improvements in the early 1800’s and now forms Princes Street Gardens with its popular Ross Bandstand.

Here we imagine how some left-over beasties might put on a wee show.

SOUND DESIGN: Hamish Brown, ANIMATION: John Butler